Home > Archive by category "blog"

Wasp Stings – More Dangerous Than You Think

Wasp Stings – More Dangerous Than You Think

We know that wasp stings can sometimes lead to a severe allergic reaction known as ‘anaphylactic shock’ but that is quite rare and there are usually obvious signs that you are becoming sensitised. Evidence is also emerging that insect stings could in some very rare cases lead to heart attacks in some individuals, and some deaths could have been underestimated as their cause had not been identified before. It seems that in some people, a wasp or bee sting could cause an allergic reaction that results in a heart spasm, causing blood clots to form and then hence a heart attack. It would appear that people with stents in their hearts are more at risk than most, this condition is known as Kounis syndrome. Whilst it is a very rare syndrome and can be triggered by other allergic factors, if you are unfortunate enough to be susceptible, its rarity is irrelevant.

Anaphylactic Shock Danger Signs after an insect sting

  • Difficulty in breathing
  • A red, itchy rash and spread to areas beyond the sting
  • Swelling of the face, throat or mouth tissue
  • Wheezing or difficulty with swallowing
  • Restlessness and anxiety
  • Rapid pulse
  • Dizziness

Written by NPTA siteowner 14.08.2014